About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor to join our Highways team to work in Leatherhead.
Providing quantity surveying support for a range of routine maintenance and renewals.
What you'll be doing
As an Assistant Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist in monitoring and assessing the valuation of works on a monthly basis, collating information at site level
- Assist in the prepare detailed estimates of non routine works as required
- Assist in the preparation of information for the monthly valuations, finance and management reports
- Assist in the management of supply chain partners in an effective manner and to the mutual satisfaction of both customer and contract
- Assist in the preparation of monthly subcontract payments.
- Building up star rates from first principles
Who we're looking for
You will have the following experience and qualities:
- A relevant commercial qualification (or working towards this)
- Relevant and sufficient knowledge and experience within a commercial background
- Ideally be a candidate who has some previous experience within highways/construction.
- Competent user of Microsoft packages
- A team player with a flexible approach to achieving joint objectives
- Ability to plan and organise own time and workload
- Enthusiastic with a strong work ethic
- Ability for analysis and problem solving
- Looking to develop own technical ability
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.