About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Tunnel Maintenance Manager to join us to work out of either Hatfield or Holmesdale sites.
- Manage the safe and efficient delivery of operations and maintenance activity within the allocated geographical area (quadrant) of the DBFO contract to meet business, contract and customer objectives.
What you'll be doing
As a Tunnel Maintenance Manager you will:
- Keep Tunnel Manager informed of all matters relating to the maintenance of the tunnels;
- Ensure that the tunnel maintenance manuals are in place and are regularly reviewed and updated in consultation with the relevant interested parties;
- Ensure that the tunnels are maintained in accordance with the agreed maintenance manuals and schedules and in compliance with the requirements of the RTSR and the DBFO Contract;
- Provide support to the Tunnel Manager to ensure compliance with the RTSR and the DBFO Contract;
- Where requested to deputise for the Tunnel Manager;
- Attend TDSCG meetings where requested to attend;
- Attend TOA meetings;
- Organise and monitor tunnel maintenance operatives training;
- Audit tunnel maintenance operators competence at least annually;
- Liaise with the Tunnel Safety Officer, The Tunnel Operations Manager the Tunnels Asset;
- Manager and the Inspection Entity;
- Ensure details are obtained of incidents and incident damage to enable costs to be recovered from third parties;
- Provide input to the Tunnel Managers monthly report and other reports required under the DBFO Contract;
- Provide input to the tunnel risk assessments required under the RTSR;
- Ensure that detailed maintenance records are kept.
Who we're looking for
Personal qualities and experience:
- HNC/HND (or equivalent);
- Appropriate CSCS qualification;
- Experience in the delivery of a highways maintenance operations or similar transferable experience;
- Team leadership and management experience driving performance and productivity;
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills;
- Strong customer focus and service delivery mindset;
- Project management experience;
- Commercial understanding and budgetary control experience;
- Understanding of lean principles;
- Understanding of Health & Safety legislation.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.